Translate This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

Aealo - Rotting Christ is back to stay!

Greetings Legions,

Since I still have not been able to keep up with Daylight Savings Time this year, here I am at 4:00am trying to use my time on more interesting business like listening to the new Rotting Christ album,  Aealo, released about a month ago through Season of Mist.

  I was actually quite excited to listen to this album once it came out, given that the band had remained relatively inactive since 2007. I had the chance to see them in concert at the Annex Wreckroom back in 2009, where they put on a tremendous show. I got to hear some great tunes, such as King of Stellar War and In Domine Sathana, among others. Very secretly, I was hoping that they would play You My Flesh but, of course, that didn't happen. Nevertheless, they made up for it and I had a great time (except for the major bruise I got on my leg as a result of some stupid groupie's impulse to start a moshpit where some 200lb man was pushed onto me, and caused me to hit my leg against the stage. No hard feelings Mofo...).

Back to Aealo. I have only listened to the album twice and, so far, I am quite pleased with the end result. Aealo brings forward a new and improved Rotting Christ, without overshadowing their past work but not re-doing Theogonia. It pleases me to say that the wait was worth while. This album makes a great addition to their musical career and what I like the most about it is that signature Sakis' Touch, which incorporates some interesting elements, such as female voices,  just at the right time. That is one of the reasons why I can't never get tired of listening to this band. Sakis Tolis knows what he is doing and does it right and for that he will always have my deepest admiration. One can tell that some serious thought process was put into the production of each and every one of the songs. 

I am really digging the transition between songs; it almost feels like a musical journey! The riffs are aggressive enough to preserve that unmistakable Black Metal sound and yet the band does a great job at preserving that Melodic aspect that characterizes them.  Hats off to this Greek Legend and their outstanding work. On that note, I highly recommend this album.




For all Toronto fans (and Metal lovers), Rotting Christ will be playing at the Mod Club alongside with some great bands, such as Polish Metal legend Hate, Phoenix's Black Metal band Abigail Williams,  Israeli's Black Metal sensation Melechesh, and American Technical Death Metal band Lecherous Nocturne. Hope to see y'all there!




-Stay Metal-
MM Dre dnklschwrz MMXI


1 comment: